Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Auction is OVER!

The 2008 Zion Spring Auction is over and it was a great success. Of course, there were many sleepless nights preparing and worrying and stressing about it. But there was not as much stress this year as in the past. I don't know if it was because it was my 4th year or because I knew it was my last time chairing the event (at least for a few years). I pulled all-nighters preparing the book since printing was moved up by 2 days, stayed up late inputting items into the database and couldn't sleep when I did lay down. It's a good thing I don't need much sleep! I averaged 2 hours a night for the 2 weeks leading up to the auction. I still had to work but spent a good portion of the day making phone calls, anwering e-mails and typing up various bulletins, notices, pleas for donations, and the book. (There's your tax dollars at work - a civilian working for the military, spending hours at work organizing a fundraiser for a private school! But don't worry - I still got my job done and had tons of support from my co-workers!) So the total profit of this years' auction was just about $24,000 - the second best ever! (The best was in 2006, mine and Michelle's 2nd year chairing it together, and we made a profit of a little over $26,000.) So I am going out with a bang! It's time for me to take a break from the auction and give it someone else. Of course, I hope Michelle is able to chair it next year! After a few years, you start to feel like it's your own event and it's tough to give up ownership. But I know Michelle is awesome - she has so many ideas and so much energy. I wouldn't have known what to do the first few years - she totally taught me everything! And then she came through this year and did so much when I really needed it! I am glad the event is over, even though it is fun to plan. Despite the sleepless nights and stress, I had a great time and I might just miss it alittle next year!

No comments: